Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Another Day

I woke up this morning with a Sting song running through my head. I have no idea why this particular song has surfaced from the depths of my musical memory. I like it, but I haven't heard it in years. The brain, it is a mysterious thing.

Mister Will is home sick today. Again. Until February, we made it through each month of the school year missing only one day each month.  With Will, that's an accomplishment.  For the most part, the days he was home were days where he just could. not. deal. Then, in February, despite all the snow days and the vacation and all that, he was home for two days where school happened, but he was actually running-a-fever sick those days, so they fall into a different category. March hit and everything went to hell. He missed three just. can't. deal. days in March.  At least today is April 1, so today's day falls under a different month count. Jury is still out as to whether this is a true sick day or a just. can't. deal. day. We changed his meds on Friday and there are some side effects that are rearing their ugly heads, so I'm guessing the stomachache he was complaining of this morning is related to that. But it could also be stress.

Back in a different age, before the string of diagnoses that left Will with more letters after his name than a college professor, I was a smug parent. My kid was fabulous and we had a great relationship. Of course, in those days, I was with him 24-7 and he was not yet 3. Now, my heart breaks for his struggle every single day. And right now, well...right now is a bigger struggle than usual. And yet, somehow he continues on. There is an amazing resilience in my son, and I am so very proud of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment